When I was first beginning my Indie Author career, I knew that I needed someone to help me promote my book and myself. To be honest, I had no idea where to start. I mean, how did you promote yourself? Who did you turn to for such a task? I can’t remember where I’d read about, but someone, somewhere told met to utilize Book Bloggers.
I just started contacting bloggers, praying they’d be interested. It was amazing to me how many of them were willing to read a book from someone they’d never heard of! One of those amazing human beings was none other than UtopYA’s 2014 Best Blogger of the Year, Toni Lesatz.
Toni Lesatz is a wife, mother, author, blogger, gamer and lover of the culinary arts. Her short stories, Ashes to Ashes and Dead World, are both being published in fall 2014. She is currently writing her debut dark fantasy novel, which she hopes to have in reader’s hands by spring 2015.
Toni’s book blog, My Book Addiction, won the UtopYA Blog of the Year award in 2014. She enjoys promoting authors, and has recently taken on the role of Editorial Director for the Book Hub side of Indie-Visible: Literary Justice For All. If she’s not curled up with a book and a cup of coffee, you’ll find her playing with her kids, baking cupcakes, or killing zombies.
Toni takes what she does seriously (for her serious face see above photo) and puts her heart into it. I can’t express how thankful that she is a true promoter of artists like me. Did I mention that Toni is also an author? Her first published works can be found in two upcoming anthologies.
Happy Little Horrors: Freak Show will be coming out October 4th and is published by MD 20/20 (Monique Happy and David Rueblin). Toni’s story is called Ashes to Ashes (Horror). The icing on the cake is that Toni plans to continue writing it into a full length novel very, very soon!
After Tomorrow Anthology will be coming December 10th and is published by Crushing Hearts and Black Butterfly Publishing, edited by Author Samantha Ketteman. The cover reveal will be sometime in mid to late October. Toni’s story is called Dead World (Post-apoc). This will also be adapted into a full length novel!
What made you wake up and say, “I’m going to blog about books!”
– I’ve always been a blogger; I’ve just changed what I blog about throughout the years. I’m pretty certain this is my bloggy calling, though. J
What genre do you enjoy reviewing the most?
– Hmm, that’s a tough question. I’m not sure I have an answer for it. I love reading and reviewing all different genres, and I try to mix things up a lot so I don’t get burned out on one genre. One of my favorites is horror, so I’ll go with that for now.
Is there a genre you haven’t reviewed yet, but want to?
– Nope. Everything I enjoy reading, I’ve reviewed as well.
What hosting site do you use? Blogger, WordPress, other?
– My domain is my own, hosted through an actual hosting company. I have WordPress installed, which I use to publish my posts, but I don’t have a Blogger or WordPress blog.
Are their other Bloggers that you follow?
– Oh, for sure! I follow a lot of blogs on Bloglovin’. Book blogs are where I learn about books I haven’t heard about yet. There are so many books released into the literary wild every week, it’s impossible to keep up with all of them on your own.
How much time does it take you to get one blog post up? Tell us your process.
– It depends on the type of post. If it’s a book blast or another type of promo post, it takes me no more than 10 minutes. If it’s a review, it all depends on how long it takes me to get my feelings out. Some books are easier to review than others.
Do you listen to music while you’re blogging? If so, who do you listen to?
– Not usually. I sometimes have the TV on in the background, but just as when I am writing (books) I prefer silence.
When you’re not being an amazing Blogger, what do you for fun?
– I’m pretty boring on the fun front. I read, write, play with my kids, and play video games. My favorite video games generally involve killing zombies!
What has been the most exciting experience for you since starting your blog?
– Going to UtopYA! Not only was I on a blogging panel, but I also won Best Blog and Best Blogger of 2014!
Who created your cute logo?
– Dooni Designs created my logo. My designer had to ask permission to use it in exchange for an ad for Dooni Designs on my sidebar. I love it because anyone can have items made with my little zombie girl on it!
When you first started your blog did you think it would become this big?
– I didn’t. I’ve had successful blogs before, but nothing close to this. I’m so grateful to all of book loving peers out there that have helped to make it a success.
When did you realize that your blog was a full-time job?
– It didn’t take long; maybe a few months.
You’re also a writer; do you want to tell us what you’re working on?
– I’m working on about six different books. Some are still just ideas floating around in my head screaming to get out, and it’s getting difficult to keep them at bay. My current WIP is a YA dark fantasy novel about a teenage necromancer.
Will you be enlisting other Book Bloggers to help you market your book in the future?
For sure! I’m super grateful that I have such an awesome community of book blogging and authors friends that are willing to support each other.
I’m also the editorial director on the Book Hub side of an Indie author site called Indie-Visible: Literary Justice For All. We’re hoping to launch it on November 1st. I’ve assembled an awesome team of the most badass book bloggers to help promote Indie authors. There will also be a PubHub side, which will offer services from editing and formatting to premium book covers and educational services to help raise the standards and visibility of Indie authors.
What author would you geek out over if you met them in real life?
– I fangirl over tons of authors. I spent a great deal of time fangirling at UtopYA.
Hands down, what is your favorite book of all time and why?
– There’s no way I could ever pick one book. I do make lists of my favorites every year, though. In fact this year I started a Pinterest board of my 2014 favorites.
What book would you like to see in film or do you believe that books should be left alone?
– I would LOVE to see Going Down in Flames by Chris Cannon turned into a movie.
What about a book turns you away?
– Awkward pacing, poor grammar, characters that I can’t relate to, and situations that are completely unbelievable.
If you find you can’t get into a book, do you put it down or be a trooper and finish it? How does this work if you’ve promised a review on your blog?
– First, I don’t guarantee reviews. That fact is stated in my review policy. If I can’t finish a book, I generally won’t write a review – unless I feel like it’s really important for other readers to know why I couldn’t finish it.
Do you stick to one genre or do you like to read around?
– I’m a bonafide book whore 😉
Are you a book-in-your-hands reader, e-booker, or both?
– I prefer to read ebooks. I don’t like anyone (including myself) touching my paperbacks.
– Shaun of the Dead
Favorite TV show?
– A lot! The Walking Dead, Supernatural, and Hemlock Grove to name a few.
If you could eat one dish for the rest of your life, what would it be?
– Shrimp and pasta
What’s your favorite candy/dessert?
– Crème Brulee
What band or musician can you listen to over and over again? You can list more than one.
– Ben Lee, Coldplay, Incubus, Dashboard Confessional, Paul Oakenfold, Matthew West
What’s your hidden talent?
What is your dream vacation?
– I would love to hop in a decked-out RV with my husband and travel everywhere the road leads us.
Blog: My Book Addiction http://mybookaddiction.com